If your current student visa is due to expire and you intend to extend your course, you will be required to apply for student visa (subclass 500) online

It is your responsibility to check information on student visa via the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website. Following are some guidelines only. 

Step 1

It is very important that you are aware of your visa expiry date and that you apply for a new visa before your current visa expires. You can check the expiry date on your Visa Grant Letter or via the Department of Immigration’s Visa Entitlement Verification (VEVO) System.

We recommend that you start collecting the relevant documents and making required appointments for the visa renewal at least 4-6 weeks before your current visa expires.

Step 2

To find out which documents you might need to provide with your student visa application, click on the following link:  www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/500-

Select the relevant information- Country of Passport, Education Provider (Flinders University), I am one of the following…..and then click on “Display Evidence”. The Documentary Evidence List will appear – prepare documents as required.

On this page, you can also estimate the cost of your visa. Select the relevant information and click onto “Get Estimate”.

Step 3

Apply for a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) if required. Please read the information below on how to apply for a CoE renewal.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are an Australia Awards Scholarship holder OR postgraduate research student who needs to stay here for interactive marking, please contact International Student Services (ISS) to discuss your situation.

Step 4

Renew your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) if necessary. Please note, your OSHC needs to be visa length. So please include additional 2 months for your OSHC if your CoE end date is 30th June and 3 months extra if your CoE is until 15th December.

Contact the Bupa OSHC representative located at Flinders Connect to renew your Bupa OSHC. You could contact them in person or lodge a request via Ask Flinders. If you are an Allianz OSHC policy holder, contact the Allianz representative located at Flinders Connect or visit ALLIANZ).

Step 5

All students must meet the Genuine Temporary Entry (GTE) requirements which will be assessed based on the information you provide on your application.

Step 6

All students must be of Good Character and will be assessed against character requirements.

Step 7

You might need to undergo Health Examinations. Before lodging a visa application, please complete My Health Declarations to find out which health examinations are required. To organise a health assessment, please visit Arranging a Health Examination. In Australia, book your appointment with Bupa Medical Visa Services or ring 1300 794 919.

PLEASE NOTE: Your visa medicals are not covered under OSHC.

Step 8

Important REMINDERS:

  • Make sure you complete online application correctly
  • Make sure you upload all required supporting documentation
  • Check application charge via visa pricing calculator


How to apply for a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) extension:

All students (except Australia Awards scholarship holders) on a student visa are required to maintain a valid, up to date and current CoE at all times.

Flinders staff will not be able to issue a CoE on the spot and a CoE extension is not automatic. It is also your responsibility to apply for a CoE extension.

Under Standard 9 of the National Code, international students are required to complete their course within the expected duration. The University can extend the CoE to enable the student to extend their student visa ONLY under the following exceptional situations where it is clear (with proper supporting documentation) that the student will not complete the course as a result of:

  • compassionate or compelling circumstances; or
  • the University implementing its intervention strategy for students who are at risk of unsatisfactory academic progress; or
  • an approved Leave of Absence

If you have any of the above situation and need assistance, please contact an ISA.

Please note, if you have deliberately under-enrolled, you may not be issued a new CoE.

Important Reminders: 

  • Have you received all of your results for your currently enrolled topics on the Student Information System? If not, this may delay the processing of your CoE. Please wait until all results are available before making a request for your CoE extension.
  • Please make sure you get your study plan updated and approved from your course coordinator or responsible staff at your School / Faculty. You need an approved study plan to apply for a CoE extension.
  • Please enrol for next semester topics as per your approved study plan.


If you require a CoE extension, please follow the steps as below: 

  1. www.flinders.edu.au/ask
  2. Click on “Request Support”
  3. Click on “Current Flinders University students”
  4. Enter your FAN and password
  5. Click on “Request support” heading TAB
  6. Click on “Submit a request”
  7. Complete the online form
  8. In the AREA choose “Student visa/CoE”
  9. In “Details” explain why you need the CoE extension and please include from which country (Australia or your home country) you will apply for your student visa renewal
  10. Attach current “approved study plan” 
  11. Click on “Finish” and Submit

Once you lodge your CoE extension request, it may take up to 5 working days to receive the CoE. Once processed, you will be sent an electronic copy of your CoE through your Flinders Email – so please check your Flinders email account.