Key areas of expertise
- Social determinants of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health equity
- Comprehensive primary health care
- Racism and discrimination
Centre of Research Excellence on Social Determinants of Health Equity (CRESDHE): Policy research on the social determinants of health equity
Investigator: Professor Fran Baum, Professor Sharon Friel, Professor Adrian Kay, Profesor Dennis McDermott, Professor Ron Labonte, Associate Professor Anna Ziersch, Associate Professor Lyndall Strazdins, Dr Patrick Harris, Dr Tamara Mackean, Dr Lareen Newman
- Freeman, T., Jolley, G., Baum, F., Lawless, A., Javanparast, S., & Labonte, R. (2013). 'Community assessment workshops: A group method for gathering client experiences of health services'. Health and Social Care in the Community, Early View.
- Baum, F., Freeman, T., Lawless, A., & Jolley, G. (2012). 'Community development - improving patient safety by enhancing the use of health services'. Australian Family Physician, 41, 424-428.
- Ziersch, A., Gallaher, G., Baum, F., & Bentley, M. (2011). 'Racism, social resources and mental health for Aboriginal people living in Adelaide'. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 35(3), 231-237.
- Freeman, T., Baum, F., Lawless, A., Jolley, G., Labonte, R., Bentley, M., & Boffa, J. (2011). 'Reaching those with the greatest need: How Australian primary health care service managers, practitioners, and funders understand and respond to health inequity'. Australian Journal of Primary Health, 17, 355-361.
Significant Past Projects
Social Determinants of Aboriginal Health
Comprehensive Primary Health Care in Local Communities
Adelaide urban location and health
Investigator: Professor Fran Baum, A/Prof Wendy Edmondson, A/Prof Anna Ziersch, Dr Catherine Palmer
Partners: Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal Health
Contextual and composition determinants of urban health inequities: an Indigenous perspective (NHMRC)
Investigators: Professor Fran Baum, Dr Catherine Palmer, A/Prof Anna Ziersch, A/Prof Wendy Edmondson, Dr Michael Bentley, Dr Gilbert Gallaher
Self-management and prevention of diabetes in the Aboriginal Health Strategy: Process for program development and evaluation.
Investigators: Dr Michael Bentley , Mr Paul Laris