This longitudinal research project aimed to understand how the loss of employment arising from the closure of Mitsubishi at Lonsdale – a significant manufacturing plant – affects the well-being of workers and their families. The research examined the processes of adjustment and change – health impacts, loss of job and possible loss of income – affecting workers and their families who have been made redundant or accepted voluntary redundancy packages.
Project StaffA Beer, F Baum, H Thomas, D Lowry, C Cutler, G Zhang, G Jolley, A Ziersch, F Verity, C MacDougall and L Newman
Partner Research Groups or Other PartnersAustralian Housing & Urban Research Institute
Funding & durationAustralian Research Council, SA Department of Health and Department for Families and Communities, Australian Health Inequities Program: 2006-2010
Scholarly Book Chapters
- Beer A and Thomas H, (2008) ‘Understanding the Impacts of Employment Loss: Space, Place and Public Policy”, L. Gibson (ed), Applied Geography, Enterprise University, New York.
- Beer, A. and Thomas, H. (2008) Economic Restructuring, Regional 'Visioning’ and the Role of Universities: The Outcomes of an Automotive Plant Closure in Southern Adelaide, Australia, in McCann, P. (ed) Technological Change and Mature Industrial Regions: Firms, Knowledge, and Policy, Edward Elgar, London.
- Beer, A. (2007) Regionalism and economic development: achieving an efficient framework, pp. 119-134 in Brown and Bellamy. J. (eds) Federalism and Regionalism in Australia: New Approaches, New institutions? ANU e-Press, Canberra.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Newman, L., MacDougall, C. & Baum, F. (2009) 'Australian children's accounts of the closure of a car factory: Global restructuring and local impacts.’ Community, Work and Family (Special Issue on community and work-life issues in a global context - New perspectives in a changing world), 12, 143-158.
- Beer, A. (2008) Risk and Return: Housing Tenure and Labour Market Adjustment After Employment Loss in the Automotive Sector in Southern Adelaide Policy Studies 29 (3), pp. 319-330.
- Armstrong, K., Bailey, D., Ruyter, A., Mahdon, M. and Thomas H. (2008) Auto plant closures, policy responses and labour market outcomes: A comparison of MG Rover in the UK and Mitsubishi in Australia, Policy Studies 29 (3), pp. 343-356.
- Thomas, H., Beer, A. and Bailey, D. (2008) A tale of two regions: Comparative versus competitive approaches to economic restructuring, Policy Studies, 29 (3), pp. 357-370.
- Beer, A. and Thomas, H. (2008) Editorial - A tale of two cities: Auto plant closures and policy responses in Birmingham and Adelaide, Policy Studies, 29 (3), pp. 249-254.
- Verity F. and Jolley, G. (2008) Closure of an automotive plant: Transformation of a “work-based” community, Policy Studies, 29 (3), pp. 331-342.
- Beer, A. and Thomas, H. (2007) The Politics and Policy of Economic Restructuring in Australia: Understanding Government Responses to the Closure of an Automotive Plant, Space and Polity, 11 (3), pp. 243-262.
- Beer, A. and Cooper, J. (2007) University-Regional Partnership in a Period of Structural Adjustment: Lessons from Southern Adelaide’s Response to an Automobile Plant Closure, European Planning Studies, 15 (8), pp. 1-22.
Refereed Conference Papers
- King, D. and Smith L. (2008) Transition Stories: Surviving Retrenchment in the Australian Automotive Industry, Presentation to the American Sociological Association Conference, August.
- Beer, A. and Cooper, J. (2005) The Challenge of University-Regional Partnership in a Period of Structural Adjustment: Lessons from Southern Adelaide’s Response to an Automobile Plant Closure, Paper presented to the Australian Universities Community Engagement Alliance Conference, Melbourne.
- Beer, A., Baum, F., Thomas, H., Lowry, D., Cutler, C., Zhang, G., Jolley, G., Ziersch, A., Verity, F., MacDougall, C. & Newman, L. (2006) HSRIP Report: An Evaluation of the Impact of Retrenchment at Mitsubishi, Focussing on Affected Workers, their Families and Communities: Implications for Human Services Policies and Practices. Adelaide: Flinders University.
Other PublicationsSee other publications
- MacDougall, C., Newman, L. & Baum, F. (2009) ‘Health & Social Impacts of Redundancy on Workers’ Children and Families.’ Paper presented at 19th Annual Conference of the European Early Childhood Education Research Association, Strasbourg (France), August 2009.
- Jolley, G., Baum, F., Newman, L. & Ziersch, A. (2008) ‘Typologies of job loss impacts from an Australian automotive plant.’ Paer presented at National Population Health Congress: A Global World – Practical Action for Health & Wellbeing, Brisbane, July 2008.
- Baum, F., Zhang, G., Jolley, G., Ziersch, A. & Newman, L. (2006) ‘Health effects of job loss in an automotive plant.’ Paper presented at International Society for Equity In Health (ISEqH) 4th Biennial International Conference, Adelaide, September 2006.
- Baum, F., Zhang, G., Jolley, G., Ziersch, A., & Newman, L. (2006) ‘Redundancy and mental health: Findings from an automotive plant.’ Paper presented at Public Health Association of Australia 37th Annual Conference, Sydney, September 2006.