Research Frequently Asked Questions

Early Career Researchers (ECRs)

What is the definition of an Early Career Researcher (ECR)?

What awards and funding schemes are ECRs eligible to apply for?

What programs for development are available to ECRs?

New Academic Staff

What is the Establishment Grant and who is eligible to apply for it? (login)

How do I enter my previous publications into the Flinders University publications system and who can help me?

Transferring grants to Flinders University from another institution.

What software licencing is available for staff and students through the University?


What research project funding is available for staff through the Faculty?

What funding for research projects and conferences is available for staff at School level?

What research project and conference funding is available for Research Higher Degree students?


What is the role of the University's Research Services Office?

What is the role of the Faculty Research Services Office?

When should I use a certification form?

Where can I find information about the University's infrastructure levy?

What ARC information and assistance is available?

When do I use Fields of Research (FoR) codes and where can I find them?

What are Socio-Economic Objective (SEO) codes and where can I find them?

Publications and data

What do I need to do with my publications in relation to the ARC and NHMRC open access policy?

What is eResearch@Flinders?

What are my responsibilities in relation to data storage?


Where will I find the University's policies and procedures about research?

What is the role of the Advisers on Integrity in Research?

What is the role of Contact Officers for allegations of research misconduct?





Faculty research project funding

The Faculty runs a competitive scheme for research project funding each year - called the Faculty Research Grant (FRG). Two types of applications can be made to this scheme: New Project (NP); or Modified Project (MP).

FRG provides funding between $5000 and $15000 for a one-year project. There is one round per year with a closing date normally in October.

The FRG New Project scheme aims to support new research, that requires one year of funding only, including:

  • high quality, stand alone, research projects of modest cost;
  • high quality pilot projects as the first stage in the process of gaining external grant support; and
  • projects submitted by early career researchers (ECR) showing clear evidence of high research capacity.

The FRG Modified Project scheme is a fall-back option available for researchers with applications in the current round of ARC Discovery Projects (DP), Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) and NHMRC Projects who wish to seek Faculty Research Grant support if their ARC DP, DECRA or NHMRC application is not successful. That is, if you have submitted an ARC DP, DECRA or NHMRC Project application in the current round, you are eligible to submit a Modified Project based on that application.

You can see application forms and guidelines from the previous round on the Faculty funding schemes page