Research Frequently Asked Questions

Early Career Researchers (ECRs)

What is the definition of an Early Career Researcher (ECR)?

What awards and funding schemes are ECRs eligible to apply for?

What programs for development are available to ECRs?

New Academic Staff

What is the Establishment Grant and who is eligible to apply for it? (login)

How do I enter my previous publications into the Flinders University publications system and who can help me?

Transferring grants to Flinders University from another institution.

What software licencing is available for staff and students through the University?


What research project funding is available for staff through the Faculty?

What funding for research projects and conferences is available for staff at School level?

What research project and conference funding is available for Research Higher Degree students?


What is the role of the University's Research Services Office?

What is the role of the Faculty Research Services Office?

When should I use a certification form?

Where can I find information about the University's infrastructure levy?

What ARC information and assistance is available?

When do I use Fields of Research (FoR) codes and where can I find them?

What are Socio-Economic Objective (SEO) codes and where can I find them?

Publications and data

What do I need to do with my publications in relation to the ARC and NHMRC open access policy?

What is eResearch@Flinders?

What are my responsibilities in relation to data storage?


Where will I find the University's policies and procedures about research?

What is the role of the Advisers on Integrity in Research?

What is the role of Contact Officers for allegations of research misconduct?





Publications data collection

The University's publications data collection is now an ongoing process, with researchers able to enter their publications via the Research Management Information System (RMIS) at any time, ideally as soon as they are published. Staff pages and data in the RePortal reflect the contents of RMIS. Publications data collection is also crucial for Higher Education Research Data Collection (HERDC) data reporting and for Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA).

Researchers are responsible for entering their own publications into RMIS unless other arrangements are established at School level. Assistance may be available through your School. Contact your School Office in the first instance.

New staff commencing at Flinders University must ensure that their previous publications are entered into RMIS, with the author selected as 'external'. Publications subsequently entered while a staff member at Flinders University are entered with the author selected as 'internal'.

The Publication Categories Criteria Handbook (DOC 107KB) defines each category of research publication for HERDC and Flinders University.  Use this handbook to determine the category of the publication before you enter its details into the RMIS.

It is also useful to determine the Fields of Research (FOR) code prior to entering your publication into RMIS. Fields of Research Codes can be found on the Australian Bureau of Statistics website.