Research Frequently Asked Questions

Early Career Researchers (ECRs)

What is the definition of an Early Career Researcher (ECR)?

What awards and funding schemes are ECRs eligible to apply for?

What programs for development are available to ECRs?

New Academic Staff

What is the Establishment Grant and who is eligible to apply for it? (login)

How do I enter my previous publications into the Flinders University publications system and who can help me?

Transferring grants to Flinders University from another institution.

What software licencing is available for staff and students through the University?


What research project funding is available for staff through the Faculty?

What funding for research projects and conferences is available for staff at School level?

What research project and conference funding is available for Research Higher Degree students?


What is the role of the University's Research Services Office?

What is the role of the Faculty Research Services Office?

When should I use a certification form?

Where can I find information about the University's infrastructure levy?

What ARC information and assistance is available?

When do I use Fields of Research (FoR) codes and where can I find them?

What are Socio-Economic Objective (SEO) codes and where can I find them?

Publications and data

What do I need to do with my publications in relation to the ARC and NHMRC open access policy?

What is eResearch@Flinders?

What are my responsibilities in relation to data storage?


Where will I find the University's policies and procedures about research?

What is the role of the Advisers on Integrity in Research?

What is the role of Contact Officers for allegations of research misconduct?





University research policies and procedures

The University has a number of policies and procedures which provide the framework underpinning the conduct of research at Flinders. These can be found at Research related policies and procedures , and include (but are not limited to):

  • Policy on research practice
  • Co-Investment strategy and guidelines
  • Convening conferences
  • Cost recovery and pricing policy
  • Intellectual property
  • Outside studies scheme
  • Overseas conference scheme
  • Policy on outside professional activities
  • Policy on centres and institutes
  • Research components of postgraduate coursework awards
  • Research grant and equipment transfers
  • Research higher degrees (enrolments and progress)
  • Risk management

There are also external frameworks which all Australian universities have agreed to adopt in relation to the conduct of research. As such, Flinders University is required to comply with these: