Research Frequently Asked Questions

Early Career Researchers (ECRs)

What is the definition of an Early Career Researcher (ECR)?

What awards and funding schemes are ECRs eligible to apply for?

What programs for development are available to ECRs?

New Academic Staff

What is the Establishment Grant and who is eligible to apply for it? (login)

How do I enter my previous publications into the Flinders University publications system and who can help me?

Transferring grants to Flinders University from another institution.

What software licencing is available for staff and students through the University?


What research project funding is available for staff through the Faculty?

What funding for research projects and conferences is available for staff at School level?

What research project and conference funding is available for Research Higher Degree students?


What is the role of the University's Research Services Office?

What is the role of the Faculty Research Services Office?

When should I use a certification form?

Where can I find information about the University's infrastructure levy?

What ARC information and assistance is available?

When do I use Fields of Research (FoR) codes and where can I find them?

What are Socio-Economic Objective (SEO) codes and where can I find them?

Publications and data

What do I need to do with my publications in relation to the ARC and NHMRC open access policy?

What is eResearch@Flinders?

What are my responsibilities in relation to data storage?


Where will I find the University's policies and procedures about research?

What is the role of the Advisers on Integrity in Research?

What is the role of Contact Officers for allegations of research misconduct?





Infrastructure levy

A recording of the Lunchtime Snapshot Workshop, 'Understanding the Infrastructure Levy', facilitated by Daniel Flaherty, Director of Financial Services, explaining and answering questions about the University's infrastructure levy is available on the Faculty Research Workshops web page. 

See the University's Cost Recovery and Pricing Policy Section 5 Distribution of Revenue, and the University's Cost Recovery and Pricing Policy Guidelines

The Guidelines state that 'Infrastructure costs relate to the general infrastructure associated with the functioning of the University rather than costs that can be clearly identified and assigned to the specific project or activity'. Section 2.6 of the Guidelines provides detailed information about the infrastructure levy.

The 25% infrastructure levy is deducted from external income received, including research income, unless the external funding falls into an exempt category. Therefore the levy must be considered when preparing a budget for grant applications, research contracts and consultancies. Sections 4.3 and 4.4 of the policy provide general guidance about Pricing Different University Activities.

The exempt categories of external funding are listed on the Flinders University Certification Form and are:

  • Research funding schemes listed in the Australian Competitive Grants Register (ACGR);
  • Donations and bequests;
  • Thesis marking honoraria;
  • Funding exclusively for research higher degree and honours scholarships; 
  • Funding for Research Fellowships or Awards;
  • Partner organisation contributions associated with ACGR schemes and internal research collaborative schemes; 
  • Cooperative Research Centre program funds where the University is a participant organisation;
  • Research funding up to, and including, $10,000;
  • Grants exclusively for equipment;
  • Grants exclusively for travel and/or living expenses;
  • Funding from bodies which explicitly state that an infrastructure levy is not funded, or only funded at a particular rate. Evidence must be provided if the funding body is not on the list maintained by the Research Services Office (scroll down to see list on RSO grants and contracts web page ) .

In all other cases, requests for exemption, waiver or reduction of the infrastructure levy must be made via the Certification Form and receive the approval of the Executive Dean.