Postgraduate conference funding – competitive scheme
Due to the University Restructure the School will only be holding one round of funding for 2017.
Closing date is 5.00 p.m. Wednesday 8 March 2017.
Applications should be in PDF and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This scheme supports the writing of high-quality applications with clearly articulated and targeted outcomes that support both the professional development of applicants and the completion of their research goals. Research Higher Degree candidates and Postgraduate Coursework students undertaking a research topic of 18 units or more are eligible to apply to this scheme. Candidates may apply for funding of up to $1000.
Conference funding can be used for expenses such as conference or workshop registration fees, travel and accommodation.
Funding is allocated to this scheme on a half-yearly basis to enable response to funding applications throughout the academic year.
- Funding for National Conferences is capped at $500
- For conferences in Adelaide the cap is $200
- Funding for Overseas Conferences is capped at $1000
The SHIR postgraduate conference support scheme has limited funds available. Allocation for conference funding is subject to funding availability. In addition, the following rules apply:
- Conference Support is awarded only once throughout candidature
- Unsuccessful applicants can re-apply in the following round
- Retrospective applications will not be considered
NOTE: The School strongly encourages candidates to apply to the Higher Degree Administration and Scholarships Office for conference funding.
Timing of applications
- Application should be made to the first round of conference funding (normally in February each year) to attend conferences held from May up to end of Semester 2 in the same year.
- Application should be made to the second round of conference funding (normally in September each year) to attend conferences held from end September in the year of the round to end of Semester 1 in the following year.
- If you have not yet received notification of acceptance of your abstract, please forward acceptance when received to email@example.com.
- If you have applied for conference funding and your abstract is not accepted, your application must be withdrawn.
- If you have been awarded conference funding and your abstract is not accepted, the funding must be returned to the School.
Assessment of applications for support
This scheme is competitive and requests for support under the scheme will be assessed by the School Research Committee on the basis of merit. Where appropriate, students should aim towards a publication in an ERA-listed refereed journal or equivalent output that will result from the conference presentation.
Submission of applications
Applications must be submitted on this form:
Responsibilities for support recipients
After attending the conference for which support has been provided by the School, recipients are required to report to the School on the outcomes of their attendance at the conference. Complete the form below and return it to the School Manager, Room 388, Social Sciences South Building.